Friday, February 8, 2008

My Rant!!!


Ok so I joined this club at Homespun Hearth online called the Quilter's Cocktail Party. They send you a kit of fabrics to do a quilt each month along with a really cute charm and I paid extra for the matching earrings. The earrings were a bit steep but I figured it had been a while since I got jewlery so I splurged. Well I got the Jan kit at almost the end of the month and decided that if I was going to get it done, I needed to get started on it before the Feb Kit got here. So, I took out my fabrics and laid them out per the picture and off I went. This quilt is a NIGHTMARE!! It is really scrappy and they did not give me enough of the backgrounds to do consistent blocks so I had to improvise. The directions are horrible and the fabric pictures did not match the fabrics given in the diagrams ARGH!!

I decided that Sara liked it so I went to work. I made up the blocks with the fabric given and then had to add some from the previous group to get them all made up. I laid them out and then I went to the borders. Thank God Sara was doing my pressing or it all would have ended up at GoodWill!!

Anyway, It is only 9 blocks. ( yes they charged me for the lap size and sent me the fabric for the wallhanging). I cut the inner border with so little left that I had to literally hold my breath to cut it and then I got to the outer borders and it says "cut 4 ( 5 1/2) strips. OK I can do that no problem.... pROBLEM!!! I cut three and I had a piece left over that was only 4 3/4 inches wide. Now I may not be a math whiz but this has to be wrong.. I recheck my directions and my cutting and nope... There was not enough.

I went ahead and sewed the sashing to the blocks to keep the cats from tearing it up all over the floor but that it is. i am done. I am going to contact them tomorrow and ask them to send me a 5 1/2 inch strip of the outer border fabric and then cancel my membership for the rest of the year!! I am so glad that i have 15 1/2 years of quilting experience. i can just imagine the tears and frustration a new quilter would feel at trying to attempt this project.. Ok I am done griping now. Thanks for letting me vent. I hope to have this resolved soon. I am also hoping that they will refund my additional 10 dollars that it cost me to sign up as I am only participating this one month and it is not due to my inabilty to read and follow directions. Will update you on the progress of both the quilt top and the shop response.. JoyB

No comments: